How to renew your CSCS Card
If you work in the construction industry, or, if you’re new to your role, you may be wondering how to renew your CSCS card. The following article outlines the importance of keeping your CSCS Card up to date and the steps you should follow in order to renew your card within time restraints.
What is the CSCS card?
CSCS is the leading skills certification scheme within the UK construction industry and most people working in the construction industry will consequently carry one of these cards. The cards are often requested when recruiting candidates as they provide proof that individuals working on construction sites have the required training and qualifications for the type of work they are conducting. It is not a legal requirement to carry a CSCS Card, however a principal contactor or site manager will often state that all contractors must carry one of these cards.
CSCS Cards are smart cards as they contain a chip, much like your debit card, which stores all of your registered information, including your qualifications, training and any personal details you’ve provided. This is a great tool for site managers to use, as they can read this information using a smartphone, tablet or PC, allowing them to instantly record the cardholder’s information and giving them peace of mind that the cardholder is qualified for the job they are employed to do on the site.
There are a range of different types of cards available, which are listed in the table below, along with the eligibility period for each card type. You should pick the card which best suits your employment situation.
|Card Type||How long does it last for?|
|Labourer||Every 5 years|
|Apprentice||4 years and can’t be renewed|
|Experienced Technical, Supervisor or Manager||3 years and can’t be renewed|
|Experienced Worker||1 year and can’t be renewed|
|Trainee Card||5 years and can’t be renewed|
|Skilled Worker||5 years|
|Advanced Craft||5 years|
|Academically Qualified Person||5 years|
|Construction Site Visitor||5 years|
|Professionally Qualified Person||5 years|
|Provisional||6 months and can’t be renewed|
If you’re still unsure of which card you should apply for or which CITB Health, Safety & Environment test you are required to take, then you can use the CSCS card finder to help you decide.
How long does the CSCS Card last for?
The validity period of a CSCS Card can vary from 6 months up to 5 years, depending on which CSCS Card you own. For further details on this check our table above.
If you’re wondering how to renew your CSCS card within the required timescales, then your card needs to be renewed before the expiry date that is present on the card within 6 months prior or 6 months after the expiry date.
How much does a CSCS Card cost?
CSCS cards cost £30 for the card themselves, however, as you will see from the card requirements, you will also need to complete the CITB Health, Safety and Environment test, which costs an additional £19.50.
You may come across organisations that offer CSCS Card application services. If you are being charged more than £30 for a card or £19.50 for a CITB Health, Safety & Environment test, check that you understand what additional services you will receive with the third party company in return for the additional cost. The process is relatively simple and our advice is to cut out these intermediary services, as they often outlay unnecessary money.
How to apply for a CSCS card for the first time
If you’ve never applied for a CSCS Card before rather than how to renew your CSCS card for the first time, then you may be worried about making a mistake. We have broken down the process for you below.
- You will first need to pass the appropriate level CITB Health, Safety and Environment test for your occupation and the card you are applying for. If you’re not sure of this, then you can use the CSCS’s onlinecardfinder.
- Once you have passed all the qualifications that you need you will then need to send a copy of these qualifications to email@example.com.
- You will then need to call the CSCS team on 0344 994 4777 and pay £30 using a credit or debit card.This is the price of the actual card. Your CSCS card will be posted out to you on the next working day.
- Alternatively you can download an application form, complete it and return it with the required documentation and payment. Once complete, you should send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that postal applications can take up to 15 days.
How to renew your CSCS card
Looking for how to renew your CSCS Card? Follow this step by step process.
- You will first need to prove that you have completed the correct training and qualifications for your job role by sending a copy of these qualifications to email@example.com. If you’re unsure of what these qualifications are, then you can use the online cardfinder
- You will then need to pass the CITB Health Safety and Environment test if you haven’t already, which costs £19.50. Your test can be booked online or by phone. Visit citb.co.uk site for more information on how to book. To book your test you should make sure you know the name of the test you are taking, the payment method, your address and your CITB registration number (you will need to register if you haven’t done already.) The test will be carried out at a CITB-accredited test centre or a mobile testing event if your employer requires a number of tests at the same time and has organised this.
- If you are renewing your own card, you can call the CSCS Contact Centre on 0344 994 4777. Before you ring make sure you have a credit or debit card to pay the £30 for the card. You can also renew your form by post but should allow up to 15 working days for this.
I am an employer looking to renew multiple CSCS cards
If you are an employer, you have an option to renew multiple CSCS cards for your contractors at the same time. In order to do this, simply download the CSCS Employer Application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is extremely useful as it means that you can manage multiple applications and pay for them all in one transaction.
Before submitting your application forms, make sure you have checked the following information:
- Ensure that all your applicants have passed the appropriate level CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test.
- Ensure that you have provided all the information required, as well as submitting supporting documents as attachments, as CSCS can’t accept information within the original email application.
- Ensure you have used the correct name on the Employer Application Form, as this will determine who is contacted to collect payment and resolve any queries. If you hold a CITB account, your account will be invoiced, which can take up to 20 working days.
As you can see, there are a variety of different options that you can choose from when wondering how to renew your CSCS card, and it is relatively easy to do yourself online. If you have any further questions in this areas though, or if you’re just interested in progressing your career within the construction industry through new opportunities, then you can talk to us at JB Contract Services.
Article written using information from the CSCS website and correct at time of publication March 2018.